• CONTACT of Ocean and Monmouth Counties, a 24-hour crisis intervention hotline and information and referral service, is seeking members for its Board of Directors. Individuals should be enthusiastic and dynamic with a desire to serve. An interest in fundraising is essential. Candidates should be innovative, have connections in the community and a willingness to solicit contributions, organize fundraisers and identify potential sources of growth and income. A belief in CONTACT’s mission, programs and services is required and individuals must have a commitment to increasing awareness to further expand the organization’s reach. Details: 732-240-6104 or email [email protected]com
• The fall issue of the Monmouth County Park System’s Parks & Programs Guide contains a complete listing of upcoming arts and crafts, nature, recreation and sports programs planned for September, October and November. Copies of the fall issue will be available at most county parks and online at www.MonmouthCountyParks.com beginning Aug. 14. Registration will begin at 8 a.m. Aug. 19. Registration is available online 24/7; by phone (732-842-4000, ext. 1) or by mail using the registration form found at the back of the guide.
• New Jersey Blood Services, which provides blood for local patients, is looking for volunteers whose tasks will include assisting donors with registration and/or at the refreshment area. No medical background necessary. Must have transportation. All training is provided. Details: Call or text Sharon Zetts at 732-850-8906, Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Due to COVID-19 safety concerns, the eighth annual Howell-Farmingdale 5K Run and Race Walk scheduled for Aug. 26 at Howell High School has been postponed until Aug. 25, 2021, when it will be held as an evening road race. The event is sponsored by CONTACT of Ocean and Monmouth Counties.
• Residents struggling with substance use issues may call 1-844-ReachNJ to speak with counselors ready to offer assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week. ReachNJ is a free, confidential hotline that provides individuals with concerns about their own or a family member’s substance use immediate help and treatment referrals. The help line is always answered by a live specialist.
• The Mental Health Association in New Jersey – Ocean County has expanded community outreach with new wellness initiatives, group meetings and discussion groups related to mental health and recovery. The agency is providing support with a special focus on the pandemic. Interested participants can connect to a virtual group meeting using a cell phone or computer; video is optional, not required. Groups offered weekdays and weekends at various times. There is no cost to participate. Days and times of the virtual meetings can be found on Facebook, Mental Health Association in New Jersey – Ocean County; Instagram OceanMhanj; or by calling 732-244-0940.
• Monmouth County will hold backyard composting workshops for county residents. The free 45-minute workshop will teach residents how to reduce household waste, improve the soil for plants and reduce landfill waste. The workshops to be held at the Agriculture Building, 4000 Kozloski Road, Freehold Township, on Oct. 17 at 9 a.m. and Nov. 14 at 9 a.m. Participants may purchase the Earth Machine backyard composting bin at the session for $35. Advance registration is required. Call 732-683-8686, ext. 8967.
Items for the Datebook may be sent to [email protected] Please submit items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.